April 4, 2020
Re: Weekly Update
We are excited to start rolling out Distant Learning. The teachers have been working hard and being creative with how best to support student learning.
During the week of April 6th to the 10th, pick up times for student packages and supplies will be on Tuesday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm – including over the lunch hour. The school door will be locked, parents will need to call the office and speak to Dawn and she or an E.A. will delivery student packages to the door.
Teachers will be sending you a schedule of online lesson times with their teacher.
I have a meeting with Chief and Council and will be asking for approval on supporting those families whose child(ren) rely on meal programs from the school and SPC Lending Agreement for computers and iPads to support student online learning at home.
However, those parents who requested support for meal program on the school survey will be receiving a grocery gift card and will be in the student packages.
Michele Woitzik has been keeping in contact with the counsellors to ensure students who are receiving counselling remain receiving counselling. Those students who need support and/or are anxious about COVID-19, parents can email Michele at MWoitzik@senpokchin.com to ask for support.
Michele has been posting on the SPC Facebook websites some activities parents can do with their children at home. Please join our Senpaq’cin facebook page to stay connected!
We do understand that this is a difficult time for all families. Please know that we are working hard to best support you during these unprecedented times.
Please read attachment on COVID-19 Policy and Best Practices Guidelines.
SPC Head of School
Parents/Guardians, Please see attached letter an important update from Rob Fleming, Minister of Education and Andrea Sinclair, President of the BC Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils to share with parents and guardians regarding COVID-19.
To Parents/Guardians, I apologize if you were unable to open website to Minister Fleming’s letter (Minister Fleming’s Letter) regarding the Covid-19 virus. I sent you a PDF file not realizing you could not open website. If this happens again, please google web address manually to receive information. Again I will keep you posted as new information is released pertaining to parent information.
To SPC Parents,
Read the attached letter for Suspension of In-Class Instruction and click on the link from Rob Flemming, the Ministry of Education. I will continue to give updates as this progresses. (Minister Fleming’s Letter)
SPC Head of School
Senpaq’cin’s PAC will be selling school t-shirts, long sleeve shirts or sweaters tonight at the family night! If you are interested in purchasing we will have sample sizes to try on tonight. If you are unable to make it tonight but want to purchase that would be great!
Dear Independent School Leaders,
The following is updated messaging on the Coronavirus from the Ministry of Education and Health in consultation with FISA. These updates are intended for you to share directly with your school communities.
Update March 6, 2020
B.C. announces its BC Pandemic Coordination Plan in response to COVID-19, a worldwide public health outbreak. There have been 21 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in B.C., four people have recovered, one person is in hospital in critical condition and the other 16 cases are recovering, in good condition, at home.
B.C. is adding four additional COVID-19 testing labs. The province has struck a Deputy Minister’s Committee, which includes Ministry of Education DM Scott MacDonald, that will report to a special Cabinet Committee on government response to protect and contain the outbreak. Please see statement from Premier John Horgan, Health Minister Adrian Dix and Provincial Medical Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020PREM0012-000404
The Pandemic Coordination plan is publicly available and can be found here:
For School Administration
TRAVEL Advice from the Provincial Health Officer
At this time, it is not necessary to cancel planned events, outings or trips to public locations in B.C. and Canada and to most places in the world. However, travellers should understand that as global efforts to contain COVID-19 continue, the availability of health care services in some areas may be limited and travel restrictions may be put in place suddenly.
People who are planning travel should check the latest travel notices and advisories on the Government of Canada’s website: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories.
Information about COVID-19, including advice and guidance to schools, is regularly updated on the BC Centre for Disease Control site: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseasesconditions/coronavirus-(novel) Please routinely check this site and its resources.
- KIDS and COVID-19 QA:http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/coronavirus-(novel)#For–schools–and–childcare
· CBC Kids along with the PHO produced a kid-centric Q and A video about COVID-19: https://www.cbc.ca/kidsnews/post/watch-coronavirus-facts-versus-fiction
· Mar. 5 joint statement from the Ministry of Health and the Provincial Health Officer: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020HLTH0062-000393
· Mar. 4, joint statement from the Ministry of Health and the Provincial Health Officer: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020HLTH0060-000380
· Mar. 3, PM joint statement from the Ministry of Health and the Provincial Health Officer: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020HLTH0058-000370
· Mar. 3, AM joint statement from the Ministry of Health and the Provincial Health Officer: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020HLTH0056-000365
· Mar. 2, joint statement from the Ministry of Health and the Provincial Health Officer: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020HLTH0054-000361
· Feb. 25, joint statement from the Ministry of Health and the Provincial Health Officer: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020HLTH0048-000330
· Feb. 24, joint statement from the Ministry of Health and the Provincial Health Officer: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020HLTH0043-000320
· Feb. 20 joint statement from the Ministry of Health and the Provincial Health Officer: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020HLTH0041-000304
· Feb. 19 joint statement from the Ministry of Health and the Provincial Health Officer: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020HLTH0039-000294
· Feb. 14 joint statement from the Ministry of Health and the Provincial Health Officer: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020HLTH0036-000284
· Feb. 6 joint statement from the Ministry of Health and the Provincial Health Officer: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020HLTH0025-000236
· Feb. 4 joint statement from the Ministry of Health and the Provincial Health Officer: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020HLTH0023-000222
· Feb. 3 joint statement from the Ministry of Health and the Provincial Health Officer – https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020HLTH0020-000210
· Ministry of Health response plans – https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/current-health-topics/pandemic-influenza
· Novel Coronavirus Q&A from HealthLinkBC: https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-feature/coronavirus
· BC Centre for Disease Control: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/coronavirus-(novel)
· Government of Canada – Novel Coronavirus in China Travel Health Notice: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/210
|Shawn Chisholm | Executive Director Federation of Independent School Associations in BC4885 Saint John Paul II Way. Vancouver, BC V5Z 0G31 604 684 6023 | email@example.com | www.fisabc.ca|
This Winter we are selling beautiful, locally-grown plants to help raise money for our programs This is a link to the Winter Fundraiser. This will help support the Year End Field Trip!